In 1925, Washington gave a grant to Brigadier General Jacob Wolters to build a training site in Mineral Wells for the mounted cavalry in Texas. This camp was named Camp Wolters and became the training site for the mounted cavalry guardsmen. Camp Wolters was designated an Infantry Replacement Center for the U.S. Army on March 22, 1941. The camp grew expanded from 50 acres to 7,500 acres within months. The newer part of the camp is now called Wolters Industrial Park, and Camp Wolters is now called Old Camp Wolters. During World War II, Old Camp Wolters housed German prisoners of war from North Africa. In 1945, when the war ended, both old and new Camp Wolters were deactivated. The National Guard sold Old Camp Wolters in 1965 to the Pratt brothers, who gave the majority of the property to nonprofit groups and the Mineral Wells Independent School District. Just east of Mineral Wells High School today is the original headquarters of Old Camp Wolters. Only one small rock building remains. It is maintained by the school district.
In 1951, the government reactivated New Camp Wolters as Wolters Air Force Base. New Camp Wolters was redesignated in 1956 as Camp Wolters Army Base. In 1963, the camp was renamed as Fort Wolters permanently and served as the home for Primary Helicopter Training during the Vietnam War. New Fort Wolters saw some 40,000 students from 30 countries go through the 20-week program conducted by the Southern Airways Company. An average of 600 students graduated each month in 1967. New Fort Wolters officially closed in 1973, but it took around two years to completely shut down. Most of the Fort Wolters property is managed by the City of Mineral Wells.
The U. S. Army occupied the majority of the post from 1951 to 1973. Today, much of the old post still remains, though in considerable decline from its heyday, and the largest component now serves the Mineral Wells community as Wolters Industrial Park. This Industrial Park houses several large corporations and small businesses. It continues to be a huge asset to Mineral Wells and a prime location for new incoming industries and warehouses.